Foie gras is a cruelly-produced, high-priced “gourmet” delicacy that comes from force-feeding young ducks (or geese) until their livers swell to eight or more times their natural size.
For a more in-depth overview of our work on this issue, read our foie gras feature.
Timeline of Events
- November 5, 2015. ALDF sues the USDA for the Department’s “undue delay” in responding to ALDF’s 2011 petition to require that foie gras bear a warning label stating, “NOTICE: Foie gras products are derived from diseased birds.”
- August 2015. ALDF submits amicus brief in support of California’s appeal of the Jan.7 District Court ruling that overturned the state ban on foie gras.
- June 11, 2015. the Supreme Court of California denies Napa restaurant La Toque’s petition for review, letting stand the appellate court’s decision in ALDF’s favor.
- March 5, 2015. The California Court of Appeal for the First Appellate District rejected the Napa restaurant La Toque’s attemptto circumvent the state’s ban on selling foie gras.
- February 4, 2015. California Attorney General Kamala Harris appealed the Jan.7 District Court rulingthat overturned the state ban on foie gras; ALDF expects the ban will be reinstated.
- January 7, 2015. ALDF urges appealafter district court invalidates California ban on foie gras.
- October 14, 2014—S. Supreme Courtdeclines to disturb California ban on foie gras.
- August 30, 2013—Ninth Circuit Court of Appealsupholds California ban on foie gras.
- June 25, 2013—District court grants ALDF groundbreaking legal standingto bring a “humane” false advertising lawsuit as an advocacy organization, in case against Hudson Valley Foie Gras.
- April 12, 2013—Landmark victory for ALDFin lawsuit against Hudson Valley Foie Gras, which agrees to remove deceptive use of “humane” descriptions from its promotional materials.
- March 4, 2013—ALDF sues Napa, California-based La Toque restaurantfor serving force-fed foie gras in violation of the state ban.
- November 13, 2012—ALDF files false advertising lawsuitagainst Hudson Valley Foie Gras, the largest producer of foie gras in the nation, for unfairly calling itself “the Humane Choice.”
- September 25, 2012—ALDF files lawsuit against New York’s Department of Agriculture and Marketsfor allowing the sale of diseased poultry products, known as foie gras.
- May 9, 2012—ALDF and coalition sue the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for violating Poultry Products Inspection Act by allowing the sale of adulterated poultry, known as foie gras.