Ag-Gag laws prevent journalists and animal advocates from exposing animal cruelty. The following is a timeline of important milestones relating to the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s work against Ag-Gag.
For a more in-depth overview of our work on this issue, read our Ag-Gag feature.
Timeline of Events
- July 7, 2017 – The U.S. District Court of Utah declared Utah’s Ag-Gag statute unconstitutional.
- May 12, 2017 – 9th Circuit Oral Arguments for appeal of Idaho Ag-Gag law.
- October 25, 2016 – Summary judgement hearing in Salt Lake City, Utah regarding the Animal Legal Defense Fund, PETA and resident Amy Meyer challenging Utah’s Ag-Gag law.
- June 20, 2016 – The Animal Legal Defense Fund and coalition file a brief in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit defending the United States District Court of Idaho’s August 2015 decision striking down Idaho’s Ag-Gag law on the ground that it violates the First and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution, which grant freedom of speech and the right to equal protection under the law. The Ninth Circuit will be the first appellate court in the nation to consider the constitutionality of an Ag-Gag law.
- May 31, 2016 – The Animal Legal Defense Fund, PETA and Salt Lake City resident Amy Meyer file a motion for summary judgment in their challenge to Utah’s notorious Ag-Gag law, seeking to have the law formally struck down as unconstitutional.
- April 4, 2016 – The state of North Carolina files a motion to dismiss the lawsuit.
- January 13, 2016 – ALDF joins coalition in suing North Carolina over Constitutionality of ‘Anti-Sunshine’ Law
- December 17, 2015 – Idaho appeals Federal Court decision overturning state’s Ag-Gag law.
- August 3, 2015 – Idaho Ag-Gag law ruled unconstitutional in Federal Court.
- September 4, 2014 – Court allows ALDF’s Idaho lawsuit to move forward, denies state’s motion to dismiss.
- August 6, 2014 – Court allows ALDF’s Utah lawsuit to move forward, denies state’s motion to dismiss.
- March 17, 2014 – ALDF and coalition file Ag-Gag lawsuit against state of Idaho.
- July 22, 2013 – ALDF and coalition file nation’s first Ag-Gag lawsuit against state of Utah.