30 Second Animal Law

subscribe Never miss an episode, subscribe to our YouTube channel!

Got Questions?

Do you love animals? Do you ever wish you went to law school? Now you can learn all about animal law, without the whopping student loans! With ALDF’s 30 Second Animal Law video series, you will get answers to your animal law related questions… in 30 seconds or less!

Laws that protect animals can be filled with complex language, sometimes based on hundreds of years of case law. Animals need lawyers to navigate the intricacies of the legal system on a daily basis. But using the law to help animals in need can be tricky business. That’s where 30 Second Animal Law comes in.

Ask away! ALDF will track down answers to select questions from an ALDF attorney, animal law expert, and other special guests.

Get Answers!

Want to get answers to your questions? You can ask one of the ALDF attorneys, or a legal expert in the field of animal law. Here are a few options:

Our staff will pick the best-or most frequently asked-questions to answer on YouTube.

Latest 30 Second Animal Law Videos

chris-berry-30-sec-thumb lora-dunn-30-sec-youtube-video-thumbnail
50 states with cruelty laws! New animal protection laws?
So you want to be an animal lawyer?

12 thoughts on “30 Second Animal Law

1. Ian says:

Great job Steve, Joyce, and Matthew! These videos are so great!

2. Helen Del RIo says:

What if the SPCA kills your dog, while pending an investigation and is cleared and rady to go home, then you get there and your beautiful animal is dead anyway?

3. stephanie stern says:

In the 2 thousand year old empire of Ashoka, it was illegal to kill animals — of any kind. You rated states according to each state’s animal laws. What about federal? Any push to get an Ashoka like ruling there — which would end factory farms.

4. Ellen Cooper says:

Although I very much appreciate the short law video’s, I must adamantly disagree. Yes, animals are “personal property”..WHEN is that going to change..WE need to give them HUMAN rights, in particular, our household 4 legged children. The abuse, and the bare liability that VETS have will NEVER change, unless we give domesticated household 4 legged children, HUMAN rights. And I totally disagree, with NOT suing a vet…they get away with murder, private consent orders, only because they are not prosecuted. The Vets need to be held much more accountable..ASK a Vet if they ever thought of being a “DOCTOR”…Many times the answer is YES, but there is so much liability, that they thought it just easier to be a Vet.
    It is not quite a year, and everyday I mourn the loss of my little Golden Retriever, who was brutally slaughtered by a Vet. Sandy was MURDERED. The Police turned the case over to the Vet Board, and all this Vet got was a private consent order, meaning I will never know the penalty/fine, if any. To the Vet, my baby was just a piece of meat. I cant stop hearing her screaming and crying…as she died in the hands of the vet. It needs to stop. PERIOD… WE need to stop it, our 4 legged children cant. WE need to take the bad Vets down, hold them accountable and make them pay not with money but with revokation of license. In loving memory of my Sandy.

5. Linda says:

Trying to fight potentially dangerous dog designation in next to impossible.

See you tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUOQSUNtHtY

6. Laura Slitt says:

What if I never even went to college? If I wanted to take a few courses in Animal Law, to see what my aptitude is, is that an option? Are there any online?

7. Shawna Anderson says:

Can you provide some brief guidance for students still in college who want to pursue a career in animal law, such as the types of majors that will benefit us once we apply to law school and later on when we are working on cases?

8. Jennifer Molidor says:

Some good tips to get started in Animal Law, for those who are curious – check out what four young animal lawyers have to say in ALDF’s fun article: “So You Wanna be an Animal Lawyer?” http://aldf.org/article.php?id=2234

9. Kelsey Chase says:

Are there any laws against children who abuse animals?

10. Mike Smeck says:

I have seen some horrific cases of animal abuse and cruelty…Why is it not considered a “violent” offense???

11. carlos says:

I had a sheriff deputy shoot my dog that was chained to the front porch, with my wife standing next to him with a five week old baby in her arms, while my wife was telling them to use the door next to the porch(6 feet away)to access our home for a search warrant. After shooting the dog, officers entered through the door that my wife indicated them to enter. The gun shot resulted in amputation of the dogs front leg and over $3000.00 in vet bills. Are they not liable for these expenses, and why is this not cruelty to animals? The officers were never in any threat from the dog, and the warrant was for bogus intel.

12. Jessica Dickson says:

My cat, Z, was stolen by an individual 10 months ago. I had adopted her from an animal shelter April 2012 and she was spayed and given an identification microchip. This individual kept my cat as her own and proceeded to take her to a vet’s office to see what steps need to be taken in order to breed Z. She told the vet multiple stories as to the origin of her ownership and specifically told the vet not to insert or scan for a microchip. The vet insisted on spaying her and thus was subject to an unnecessary spay surgery. Upon their discovery that she had already been spayed, the vet proceeded to scan for a microchip and I was immediately contacted by the microchip company.

My question is, are their any laws that protect against domestic pet theft for breeding purposes?