Summer Reading for Animal AdvocatesPosted by Jennifer Molidor, ALDF Staff Writer on June 4, 2014
ALDF wants to hear from you! This week, we are inviting readers to write in and share their favorite animal protection-themed books. The best suggestions will be included in our post next week at aldf.org! Help us put together the best summer reading list on animal protection as you get ready for summer and catching up on those books you’ve been meaning to read!
New Books Coming Up in the Animal Book Club
- War of the Whales, by Joshua Horwitz – This month’s Animal Book Club featured book: look for our review and author interview in June—the book comes out in early July! (Simon & Schuster).
- All Creatures Great and Small – The Warm and Joyful Memoirs of the World’s Most Beloved Animal Doctor, by James Herriot, a re-release (St. Martin’s Press, May 2014).
- The World According to Bob – The Further Adventures of One Man and His Streetwise Cat, by James Bowen. Cat lovers will get a kick out of this book (Thomas Dunne Books, 2013).
- Animal Madness – How Anxious Dogs, Compulsive Parrots, and Elephants in Recovery Help Us Understand Ourselves,by Laurel Braitman (Simon & Schuster, June 2014).
- Last Chain on Billie – How One Extraordinary Elephant Escaped the Big Top, by Carol Bradley (St. Martin’s Press, 2014).
- Touching the Wild – Living with the Mule Deer of Deadman Gulch, by Joe Hutto; the book that inspired the stunning PBS show (Skyhorse Publishing, 2014).
- Growl – Life Lessons, Hard Truths, and Bold Strategies from an Animal Advocate, by Kim Stallwood.
Recently in the Animal Book Club
- Citizen Canine: Our Evolving Relationship with Cats and Dogs by David Grimm.
- The Meat Racket – The Secret Takeover of America’s Food Businessby Christopher Leonard.
- The Chain by Robin Lamont.
- The Lost Whale by Michael Parfit and Suzanne Chisholm.
- Bleating Hearts – the Hidden World of Animal Suffering by Mark Hawthorne.
Each of these books raises important issues that the Animal Legal Defense Fund is working on to help protect the lives and advance the interests of animals through the legal system. These issues include:
- Factory Farming
- Ag Gag Legislation
- Orca Captivity and Display
- The Legal Status of Companion Animals
- Animals Exploited in Sports
What is the best animal book you’ve read recently? Do you have a favorite quote? Let us know!