Sign the Animal Bill of Rights!Posted by Jennifer Molidor, ALDF's Staff Writer on September 9, 2013
The Animal Legal Defense Fund needs your help! All across the nation, people are joining together to sign the Animal Bill of Rights—to show a groundswell of support for laws that protect animals. We are aiming for ONE MILLION SIGNATURES! If you haven’t yet joined the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have signed the Animal Bill of Rights—please take action now! Let Congress and all of our elected officials know that the law should protect the basic needs of all animals—and should provide justice for those who are abused and exploited.
Sign the Animal Bill of Rights!
Watch our video and click the link to sign the Animal Bill of Rights.
Why Are Animal Rights Important?
In the United States, our “rights” are a point of pride. Why don’t animals have rights, too? The Animal Legal Defense Fund advocates for animals to receive the full protection of the law as a right. Without legal protection, animals are defenseless against exploitation and abuse by humans. From the shameful treatment of exotic animals–like Ben the Bear and Tony the Tiger–who have been imprisoned in roadside cages, to wildlife who are penned, hounded, trapped, shot, and terrorized, to the dogs savagely torn apart for profit in dogfighting rings, to puppies treated like disposable machines in puppy mills, to ducks force-fed to the point of disease so people can eat gourmet treats, to the animals confined by hoarders in the most horrifying of conditions.
More on The Animal Bill of Rights
That is why ALDF urges you to sign the Animal Bill of Rights and encourage your representatives to pass legislation that gives animals the rights they deserve:
- The Right of animals to be free from exploitation, cruelty, neglect, and abuse.
- The Right of laboratory animals not to be used in cruel or unnecessary experiments.
- The Right of farm animals to an environment that satisfies their basic physical and psychological needs.
- The Right of companion animals to a healthy diet, protective shelter, and adequate medical care.
- The Right of wildlife to a natural habitat, ecologically sufficient to a normal existence and self-sustaining species population.
- The Right of animals to have their interests represented in court and safeguarded by the law of the land.
When you sign the Animal Bill of Rights, you can also alert your Congressional representatives with just a click that you support stronger laws to protect animals. More than a quarter of a million Americans have signed ALDF’s petition.
Share the Animal Bill of Rights!
Do you LIKE ALDF on Facebook? SHARE our video with your friends, and urge them to sign the Animal Bill of Rights!
Retweet on Twitter
— ALDF (@ALDF) September 9, 2013