Over The Hill(s) For Animals: 40 Miles for 40 YearsPosted by William Rivas-Rivas on June 18th, 2012
Forty years old! When I tell my younger friends that I’m turning 40 in August, they usually say, “Wow! How do you feel?” I guess turning 40 is supposed to mean that I’m not just getting older. I’m getting old.
However, against the odds (ha), I’ll be running 40 miles – including 26.2 as part of the San Francisco Marathon – on July 29 in honor of my 40 years, and on behalf of the Animal Legal Defense Fund and against animal cruelty.
You can contribute to my effort here:animal testing, on factory farms, and for roadside entertainment, my accomplishment would seem like a walk in the park.
The Animal Legal Defense Fund is the only national organization dedicated to protecting the lives and advancing the interests of animals through the legal system. Every day, ALDF works to protect animals by:
- Filing groundbreaking lawsuits to stop animal abuse and expand the boundaries of animal law.
- Providing free legal assistance to prosecutors handling cruelty cases.
- Working to strengthen state anti-cruelty statutes.
- Encouraging the federal government to enforce existing animal protection laws.
- Nurturing the future of animal law through Student Animal Legal Defense Fund chapters and our Animal Law Program.
- Providing public education through seminars, workshops and other outreach efforts.
Despite the fact that they are living, feeling beings, animals in the U.S. are still considered merely “property” by law – in most cases no different than a table or a chair. Lasting change can only come when the law reflects what most of us already believe to be true – that abusing an animal is wrong.
Will you support my marathon (and then some) on behalf of ALDF and our clients? A tax deductible donation of any size – $5, $20 or even $100 – will help me get closer to my $4,000 goal and will make a big difference in the lives of animals. Donations can be made here.
Your support is vital to everything we do. Please make as generous a donation as you can.
July 29 will be a tough day for me, but I know that I can do it. I also know that working together, we can be the legal voice for animal victims of cruelty and demand that society hold abusers accountable for their crimes.
Thank you so much for your support and generosity!